TEXT_The reorganisation of the riverbank is based on the principle of a continuous, rhythmically sequential waterfront promenade which offers a series of leisure activities which make environmentally sensitive use of the river. South facing, the site becomes a look-out point for the district opening towards the slopes of Meudon and the Ile Seguin. The project preserves historical landscape elements and integrates both the alleys of plane trees lining the riverbank and certain key industrial elements from the former Renault site. It features a series of landing stages and transforms the former transporter bridge into a balcony onto the landscape of the Seine.
The project is organised out three sectors:
- to the west of the new bridge between the Trapezium and the Ile Seguin: a waterfront promenade integrating a cycle route;
- In the centre of the project between the two bridges: the widened waterfront becomes a green esplanade based on accessible lawns and meadows criss-crossed with pedestrian footpaths making it possible to reach the key elements of the project.
On the edge of the water, a floating pontoon makes it possible to connect a small technical area with both the balcony over the seine on the former transporter bridge and a huge terrace/solarium which faces a small square containing an open-air dance hall; to the east of Pont Daydé, the width of the riverbank is preserved by the creation of a lower landing stage at the level of the water.
The timber surface used for the various spaces and walkways through the project provides a sense of unity while the corten steel which highlights the façade of the esplanade by running the length of a small retaining wall facing the city is a reference to the site’s industrial heritage. Finally, a new planting scheme establishes the frontier between the project and the cars moving along the riverbanks, guaranteeing a safe separation space.
- PROGRAM_reorganisation of the banks of the Seine opposite the Trapezium and the Ile Segui – western and central riverbanks
- SURFACE AREA_775lm (along the Seine)
- COST_€ 12.5m
- CLIENT_SAEM VAL DE SEINE AMENAGEMENT
- DESIGNER_Agence Patrick Chavannes
- ROLE_Project management of the banks of the Seine
- PHASES_Preliminary project
- COLLABORATORS_infrastructural engineers : OGI / lighting concept : Agence ON / associated landscape designers : T. Laverne